Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Digital Monkey

http://c2.api.ning.com/files/Xl3n4nptF*oE-RFI0p3ad3kxELbwMRHReLHs9UVTcLXjFRlYeV7JGNVIGCg3boodVfYRRpoqR2s3ar8kVlWnWbXEHeAVDh*0/thumbsupermariobros8bitMario.jpg
I searched digital monkey on Google and ran across the site Digital Monkey Box. This is not really a pretty site and it probably doesn't get much traffic but I love websites such as this. It offers information on video games in the form of a blog like Joystiq or Kotaku and also contains a snarky feel, much like Joystiq and Kotaku. The reason that I chose to talk about this is because a ton of these sites exist and I think that it is a good way for fans to contribute to what they are passionate about. Fan sites have been in existant since the inception of the internet, but I don't think there were many ways to voice your opinion to the whole world on the subject that you were a fan of before the internet. I think that this really speaks to the digital age because this is something that you simply couldn't do before. For example, The Superman Homepage is a modest site but it gets pretty good traffic and I love visiting there. It started off modestly and has grown over the years to be a comprehensive website on anything related to Superman. Websites such as these allow other fans to have a place to talk about what they are passionate about and to interact with fellow fans. I think that this is something very unique to the internet and is something that couldn't exist without it. These sites seem to usually be in blog form and feature news on their subject. I do think, however, that many of these sites are very plain and boring in a design way. It seems like many of the people running these sites only care about the content opposed to the design. Of course, there are exceptions, but this has been my general experience. However, this is a great way to break into the industry that you love, or at least have a place to sound off.

No comments:

Post a Comment