Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Digital Freedom

http://digitalfreedom.org/banner3.gif
Digital Freedom is a website, which I found from a Google search, that deals with the rights a person should have as a digital creator. The website describes a creator as anyone who relies on digital technology to create or even people who post videos to Youtube or put music on their profile page. The site claims that companies are trying to shut down new technologies that, in themselves, have nothing to do with copyright infringement and can be a good platform for creators to distribute their work. I believe the site, although I didn't see them explicitly say this, is also talking about file sharing programs. These can clearly be used without piracy and can be a good platform to share work. The site also mentions litigation on people who use existing works and make them their own. Song mash-ups would be an example of this. I think that these creators should be protected because these people are making this content their own, and the company with the copyright shouldn't be able to infringe on the project. I have heard of this issue before and I think that it is something that is very important for a digital creator of any sort. I haven't heard or seen on the site any examples of people being prosecuted for this before, but I know that it could someday be a possibility. I think that the "mash-up" culture and other digital artforms are unique and companies should have no say in what creators do if they make something their own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment