Thursday, December 17, 2009

Digital Fish

http://www.visitdouglasville.com/Images/geocaching.jpg
Digital fish is what I chose to search on Google and I was able to find out about something that I didn't really know much at all about. Geofish.net is a website that tracks little fishes. These things are planted by participants and locations are uploaded to the website. Then, with the help of a GPS, someone is supposed to go and find this little fish. I think that this really goes along well with our game lectures and assignment. This really reminds me of digital hide and go seek and it's a way to use an existing technology in a way that it probably wasn't intended. I looked up geocaching on Wikipedia and apparently this is much like a 150 year old game called "letterboxing". This game uses uses clues and references to landmarks embedded in stories. I read on the entry that most of the geocaches are of low monetary value and have some sort of personal meaning to the person that is leaving the cache. There are geocaches in every continent and this is a pretty popular activity. I believe that this presents a good ways to get outdoors and still have fun with technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment