Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Digital Carpet

http://www.techpin.com/wp-content/arcstreamav_interactive_floor_1.jpg
Digital Carpet, found by using a Google search, is an extremely interesting technology to me. It's basically an interactive surface that can be walked on. It uses a projection system to project the image on the floor and sensors to detect what the user is doing. The creator said that they are working on ways to upgrade the technology to suit the users needs more than they do now and want to base what the user sees on preferences and the way they use the system. I don't imagine this as something being used in a home, but it would be perfect for advertising. What better way to get a potential customer's attention than to use something like this? I also thought it was interesting that they proposed using this for kids. I think that kids would have a ball with this technology and I could easily imagine this as something that is someday in a school for the children to play with. I think that this is a baby technology at the moment, however, and could definitely use some more improvements but it seems to be heading in the right direction. After searching online for interactive floor, I found that other companies do make similar technologies, but they all seem to be at about the same level of sophistication. I think that the systems definitely need some better sensor equipment to detect the users better and simply some more market saturation. I think that once people start to notice this technology we will be seeing it much more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment