Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Digital Table

http://www.fahad.com/pics/microsoft_surface.jpg
I began this entry by searching digital table on Google. My results mostly included tables that have a touch screen built in. These tables can do almost anything. A fairly popular example of this technology is called Microsoft Surface (pictured above). These tables feature multi-touch technology and allow you to manipulate images and surf the web, all using touch. Another feature that they describe is transferring information, such as pictures, from portable devices and the transfer shows up in real time. This is a fairly interesting idea in my mind, but the units are in no way practical for current personal use. The basic unit costs $12,500 and the developer unit costs $15,000. Price aside, I think that this is a fairly revolutionary idea. I believe that this technology has the potential of changing the way people use computers. This would move the computer from the desk to a possible communal experience in the living room. To me, surface represents the first step of a bigger process. Another company doing something interesting with touch surfaces is called Touch Taste Tech. This company as incorporated the technology into bars and clubs to let customers order their drinks. Audi has also created an app that lets you customize your car in real time. I couldn't find any real sales numbers for these products but I haven't noticed them in any public places yet. I think that this needs to be improved by simply finding ways to lower the price. If this technology becomes more ubiquitous I think that it will naturally bring down the price. I imagine this technology thriving in a consumer setting. If someone could walk into a restaurant and place their order just by manipulating images and/or pressing on a screen, it could make the experience much more interesting. It might cut back on human interaction, but it might also make the experience much more convenient. Ordering a drink from a bartender is easy already, but it might be more fun to use an intuitive interface instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment