Monday, November 30, 2009

Digital Cup

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/02/12/china-internet460.jpg
I searched digital cup on Google and I think that I came up with something fairly interesting. The Digital Cup is a gaming/coffee/internet cafe located in Wasilla, Alaska. I sometimes forget these places even exist and I think that this is very unique to the digital age. I would liken it to the arcades of yesteryear. Anyway, I'm sure this place is great and they'll do anything from sell you a coffee to help you design your gaming PC but I would rather look at internet cafes in general. I really don't see many of them around, except for the one I know of in Danville, Indiana. I couldn't find any exact numbers, but a Google search of internet cafes proove that there are quite a few around and they must make money or so many wouldn't exist. I think that the idea of an internet cafe has now become as outdated as a VCR. My phone can do internet as I walk around campus and I'm sure in the next few years that technology will be a lot cheaper. Who will need an internet cafe when the person can do everything that they need from a device that they already carry around with them. One might argue that people who can't afford a computer that have to use one can go visit these places but I even think that this number is dwindling faster and faster. A study from 2008 said that internet penetration had reached 82% and I really doubt that this number would ever fall. This doesn't leave the cafe much of a market, especially while more and more people sign up to an ISP. Basically, I believe that the internet cafes are antiquated and I don't think they will last that much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment