Monday, October 19, 2009

Iphone design


About a year ago, I bought the coveted Iphone. I think the main reason that I bought it was because of the unique and simplistic design. However, I only knew that I liked it and I thought it looked cool. I want to know why I thought it looked cool.
First off, I immediately notice how thin the device is. This is for practical reasons, fitting in the pocket, but it also helps quite a bit stylistically. It's very easy for anyone to wrap their hands around and simply feels good to hold. The casing is also very attractive. It curves at the back of the device slightly that, when sitting, almost seems to be floating. This speaks to the overall slim factor in the design. I think that the people at Apple wanted to make it almost seem weightless. The button layout on the phone is ingenious in my opinion. with only a few dedicated buttons on the device, it makes it really simple and quick to turn up and down the volume, go back to the home screen, or put the device on hold. There really can't be any confusion with what the buttons do after 15-30 minutes of using the device. The solid black or white finish also speaks to its simplicity and ease of use. These two colors go with about anything so it never feels like it's out of place. Finally, the touch screen and screen in general are the most important part of this device. The phone seems to be dedicated to the screen, giving up all the room it can to it. Of course, functionality wise, this is very important for navigation but it also seems very progressive. This phone sets itself apart from older devices by having such a large screen. Everyone remembers the old Nokia phones that had a tiny screen. I think that this, even now, makes the phone feel futuristic. I don't think that this core design will change anytime soon, as it is so successful. There really doesn't seem to be much that warrants change either.

No comments:

Post a Comment