Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Computer Design

Everybody knows what a computer looks like. As a college student, I have to use on nearly every day. Wouldn't it be nice if everybody had something a little more attractive than just a big rectangle?
http://www.wikinomics.com/blog/uploads/dell_desktop-300x279.jpg
This is the first interesting design that I found. This is from Dell and the purpose of the product is to save space and obviously look cool. It's called the Dell Studio Hybrid, and although a review from CNET says that it isn't really that practical and a laptop would be a better choice, I still think that this is a very cool and unique design. It reminds me like the evolution of the Mac mini. I also like the idea that you can fit a whole computer into a package that small. If I would have designed it, I would have tried to figure out something else to do with the disk drive. I think that it stands out a little too much, but I don't know what the other options would be. The color scheme is decent enough and has a professional feel and the lit up Dell logo compliments the system well.
http://www.creativepro.com/files/story_images/20080509SAWG_fg19.jpg
This is a computer done in a steampunk style. This really seems to have a classic feel and looks like it could have existed years and years ago. The keyboard is my favorite part. Apparently it was designed by using old typewriter keys placed onto a keyboard. It's not necessarily very practical and it doesn't change the function of the machine, but it's a really nice conversation piece at least. I think that it is so striking because you could imagine this current piece of technology in Victorian times. The color scheme is fairly simple but looks classic. The flower design on the monitor also reminds me of old sculptures or pottery. If I were design this, assuming I could, there isn't anything that I would change with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment