Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bus stop design

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1413/1429422388_f2ccdb76ed_o.jpg
Okay, so this really caught my interest. Apparently, this is a bus stop in Ventura, California. Everybody knows what a bus stop normally looks like, and this definitely doesn't look like a bus stop. It really reminds me of a surreal painting of a building or even the landscape after an earthquake, which California has many of. I haven't read much on the design or designer so I will just speculate and try to figure out why these choices were made. The front most design explicitly resembles some sort of buulding and seems to be coming out of the ground. I think that this choice could have been made to play with the feeling that people get, well at least I get, when waiting on a bus that seems to be taking forever. It almost feels like you are living there. However, once you get on the bus you no longer are "living" there which distorts the view of the stop as a home or place to stay which could be reasoning for the strange arching shape. The middle arch seems much more traditional compared to the house but is still out of place for a bus stop. It could be there simply to protect people from rainfall but it has three distinct arches in the metal work which remind me of a very Roman design. Red, at least in my mind, can be associated with Rome. Of course I am again speculating, but this choice could have been made because of the communal experiences that rome shared such as bath houses and buses are extremely communal. The final 1/3 of an arch in the background looks simply like windows. I think that these were placed in the back to represent looking into the past. When you are at a bus stop it seems like time is almost standing still and you have time to reflect on the past. Finally, these things all seem to be connected in a spiral shape which I believe is just to show that all of this can be experienced at an average busstop. I don't know if I'm even close to being right, but this is still a very interesting design.

No comments:

Post a Comment