Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Death of Superman Design- 9/9/09

To begin, I love reading comics and Superman is my all-time favorite hero. As I was growing up and becoming aware of comic books, The Death of Superman event was just getting underway. This is certainly my favorite cover from this series, and I would like to analyze and critique it.
First, I love this cover because of the simplicity of it. Superman's iconic cape, beaten and tattered and blowing in the wind. Even without the text, anyone picking up this book knows that something very serious is wrong with Superman. There are some, presumably rocks, keeping up the stick that is holding the cape. We can see some people mourning Superman's death in the background while the left and right border are framed by some high rise buildings. I also notice what seems to be Lois Lane and a few others mourning in the background. However, what I find most interesting about the cover is the sunset in the background. It seems to contrast the bleak and ominous cape flapping in the wind. It also has a very painterly quality to it which I believe contrasts the realistic cape and buildings very well. The color choices are bright in the foreground and get extremely dark near the buildings. Once again, this contrasts the sunset which has purples, blues and yellows. I'm pretty sure that the sunset also represents the sun setting on Superman's career. Of course, I'm assuming this but I think it is a fair assumption.
Although I do love this cover, I do believe that it could be improved in a few simple ways. First off, I see no reason why the text is really needed. I know that it was for sales, but I don't think anyone that was aware of what was happening in the comics didn't know what this issue was going to contain. I also don't care for the way my eye follows the title, to the cape, to the text at the bottom. I think that the cape could be moved a little left or right and maybe tilted at a bit of a steeper angle. This may sound drastic, but I would maybe even remove the buildings and just make it the cape with the sunset behind it. I do like the color choices and am pretty sure that I would keep them basically the same.
That being said, this is one of my favorite covers in comics and I think that it served its purpose perfectly back in its time. But looking back on it, I do believe that it could have been slightly improved.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for providing important information. All your information is very valuable to me.
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete